Museum History
(3830 Records)

 Yr/Mo   Origin   Summary 
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973Seminars and Weekend Courses for Friends and Volunteers / Further courses will be announced in the New Year
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973The Hambrook Barn / The small museum in the Hambrook Barn has not yet been opened, but should be offically opened in May.
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973Obituary / Douglas Robertson-Ritchie died
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973Opening arrangements for 1974 / The Museum will open 1100 to 1800 every day of the week except Monday from 12th April to 29th September, then 1100 to 1700 Wednesdays and Sundays until 27th October. Entrance fees Adults 30p, OAPs, Children and Students 20p
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973The 1973 Season / The1973 season broke records with 111,042 visitors. The highest day was August Bank Holiday with 2218 visitors. Special thanks are due to Doug and Mary Bryant and Julia Hett. The Potters' Group are building a new and enlarged pottery in the woods. Despite the success we still need money.
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973Lurgashall Mill / The roof, the interior and the machinery of the Lurgashall Mill were rescued. The Peter Minet Trust has offered
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973New Road Access across the Museum Site / There is now a good road across the site to Bayleaf
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973Titchfield Old Market Hall / The Market Hall is nearing completion. Roger Champion has finished the timber and Geoff Kent has nearly finished the brickwork. Reconstruction included the problem that the lower level had been converted into a gaol of two cells. It was decided to restore the hall to its original state.
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973The Director's Visit to Romania / John Lowe visited Romania as guest of the Romanian Government, and gave lectures on the Museum to colleagues in Bucharest and Cluj.
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973School Parties at the Museum / Some 50,000 children visited the Museum this summer, mostly in school parties. Many children then brought their parents. [there is some talk about the problems involved] Kim Leslie's Teachers' Handbook and the Children's Guide are very helpful. The Museum has an Education Advisory Committee considering what more needs to be done.
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973Recruitment of Friends / There are now over 1000 Friends, and next year the Friends will contribute
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973Appointment of a New Director / The Council of Management has appointed Chris Zeuner as Director of the Museum from 1st April. John Lowe will continue to serve the Museum as Consultant.
1973/9Newsletter Number Seven / Sep-Dec 1973New Appointments / Geoff Kent has joined the staff as Craftsman. Basil Smeed has joined the Council of Management representing the Sussex Downsmen.
1974/1Newsletter Number Nine / Winter 1974Report on 1974 Season / In spite of the petrol shortage we've had a good year with 126,000 visitors. Titchfield Market Hall was completed and Geoff Kent is working on the cobbled market square. The car parks have been expanded thanks to a grant from the Countryside Commission. The mill ponds should be completed in the next few weeks. Lining the ponds will depend on raising funds. The Peter Minet Trust has helped. The Pottery Research Group have made considerable progress.
1974/1Newsletter Number Nine / Winter 1974Volunteer Stewards / Thanks to volunteer stewards, but more are still needed
1974/1Newsletter Number Nine / Winter 1974Grants made by the Friends ro the Museum in 1974 / The Friends have made two grants to the museum:
1974/1Newsletter Number Nine / Winter 1974Winter opening / The Museum will be open in the winter on Sundays only. Admission 20p for adults and 10p for children
1974/1Newsletter Number Nine / Winter 1974Increase of Subscriptions / The Friends' Subscriptions have to be increased. The new minimum rates are Adults
1974/1Newsletter Number Nine / Winter 1974The Official Opening of Hambrook Barn / Hugh Jenkins (Minister for the Arts) officially opened the Hambrook Barn on 7th June 1974. The Barn houses a small museum illustrating tne history of building methods in the Weald and Downland area. The work was supervised by Chris Zeuner and Roy Armstrong and the display stands were designed by Julian Hayward.
1974/1Newsletter Number Nine / Winter 1974Winter Lectures for Friends and Volunteers / Seminars are being organised this winter for Friends and Volunteers
Page 22 of 192
<<First <Prev 20 2122 23 24 Next> Last>>
Powered by Tools JX