|1984/10||Members' Magazine No. 22 / October 1984||Children Build Their Own Houses at the Museum, / In the summer 55 local children, led by Elizabeth Newbery, built their own houses on the site using materials materials produced on the site. Others who helped were Neil Wilkins, Brian Phelan, Chris Challen, Jackie Demaus and Nick Hutson. |
There are now 70 Junior Friends.
|1984/10||Members' Magazine No. 22 / October 1984||Repairs to Winkhurst / In the winter Roger Champion will be remove the side sprockets from Winkhurst and raise it about 12 inches to ensure preservation of the sole plate.|
|1984/10||Members' Magazine No. 22 / October 1984||Cavalcade of Costume / The Friends is sponsoring a Cavalcade of Costume showing Mrs Penny's collection of male and female costumes of 1600 to 1920. Tickets are |
|1984/10||Members' Magazine No. 22 / October 1984||Friends Recruiting Campaign / The Friends recruiting campaign has produced 500 new members, 170 of whom have covenanted their subscriptions.|
|1984/10||Members' Magazine No. 22 / October 1984||Countryside Education Trust / Next year Elizabeth Newbery will be working with both the Museum and the West Sussex Countryside Education Trust, which is based at Goodwood. She will be exploring ways of expanding the education service of both.|
|1984/10||Members' Magazine No. 22 / October 1984||North Cray Hall House Erected at the Museum|
Successful festival of Building / The North Cray Hall House was re-erected in August. Roger Champion had repaired the timbers, and he, Heather Champion and Simon Harper were in charge of the re-erection. Horley Road Services sponsored the crane. The erection was filmed by TVS, with Peter Tester, who had saved the house, playing an important part. Richard Harris has written an article called "Why Are The Timbers Painted Red"
The Festival of Building marked the 150th anniversary of the Chartered Institute of Building, Southern Region. Thanks are due to Norman Deval and Derek Hale. Firms and organisations represented include Property Services Agency, Building Conservation Trust, Cement and Concrete Association, Longleys, Redland, Rush and Tompkins, Lignacite, Ibstock, Keymer Brick Co. , J. G. Snelling, E. A. Chiverton and Hepworth Iron Co. Ltd.
|1984/1||Bulletin / January 1984||Pig sty from Petworth / This has been dismantled and is being restored by Tuesday volunteers. It will be reconstructed in the Toll Cottage garden in the near future.|
|1984/1||SBC Minutes / 27 January 1984||Programme of work for next phase of Museum's development / Mr Zeuner outlined the programme of work for the next phase of the Museum's development. It was important now to set the policy and priorities of re-erecting buildings which should include Poplars Cottage, Tyndall Cottage, Petersfield Drying Shed, Cowfold Barn and Waggon Shed, and other minor buildings. The re-erection of the Horsham Shop and Reigate building would provide an extension to the educational services.|
|1984/1||Bulletin / January 1984||Photographic Competition / This was judged during December and can be considered a great success, with a total of 489 photogrpahs entered (370 adults, 119 children). The winner of the adult section was Mr Herriott of Croydon, and the children's section Damian Lilly of Tonbridge. 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes were awarded in both sections ...|
|1984/1||Bulletin / January 1984||Carol Service / In spite of the dismal weather there was a good attendance. Our thanks go to West Sussex Youth Force for decorating Bayleaf, which always enhances the atmosphere of this popular Christmas event. The proceeds, totalling |
|1984/1||Bulletin / January 1984||Library / ... Reopens on Tuesday 10 Jan and thereafter on Tuesdays as usual.|
|1984/1||Bulletin / January 1984||Winter visitor numbers / 2,721 to end of the year 1983|
2,088 to end of the year 1982
Visitor numbers are slightly more than last year, the difference being due largely to better weather and Wednesday openings.
|1984/1||Bulletin / January 1984||Meetings / 9 Jan 84 Friends Committee|
12 Jan 84 General Purposes Committee
|1984/1||Bulletin / January 1984||Treasure Hunt / TV Channel 4, 19 Jan 84, 8pm. Treasure Hunt, with Walter Greenway and Richard Pailthorpe competing.|
|1984/1||SBC Minutes / 27 January 1984||NFU Proposal / Mr Zeuner reported there was nothing further to report on the NFU Proposal to set up an agricultural exhibition.|
|1984/1||SBC Minutes / 27 January 1984||Hole House / Mr Zeuner reported that the arranged meeting between representatives of Hole House and the Museum had been cancelled, and a further date had not been arranged. General AGREED not to pursue the matter further but await developments.|
|1984/1||Bulletin / January 1984||Assistant warden / Out of the large number of applicants for this job, seven were interviewed and the successful candidate was James Redrobe. His appointment will commence from 1 April but he will be learning the ropes from 24 March. Cdr Redrobe has been carrying out similar duties with HMS Belfast.|
|1984/1||SBC Minutes / 27 January 1984||Proposals for Horsham Shop/Reigate Development / Richard Harris outlined the proposed location of the Reigate Building and Horsham Shop. With the aid of diagrams he showed that the timber framework of the Horsham Shop gave possible evidence of a pair of shops of unequal size. Access from the ground floor to the chambers was via a staircase within. Mrs Hallam gave the view that there was only one doorway on the right hand side. She reported that when the building was dismantled there appeared to be a "shadow" under the joists of the front elevation running from the left side and sloping at the assumed doorway on the right. Richard Harris reported that there was a mortice in the left hand ground post which indicated a 2nd doorway. It was generally felt that there were many possibilities in the division of the building, one being the ground floor of the larger shop being independent from the small shop which had access to the second floors. John Warren reported that documentary research of the Horsham \\|
|1984/1||SBC Minutes / 27 January 1984||Proposed Uses of Reigate Building / Richard Harris proposed that the first and second floors be devoted to decorative wall painting, the attic used as a store . The staircase should be enlarged for better access. Mr Zeuner felt there was a need to improve the interpretation on urban buildings. He suggested the first floor of Titchfield could be used to meet this need. The Chairman proposed that Richard Harris and John Warren should have further talks concerning the development of the Reigate/Horsham building and should draw up more detailed plans to be circulated to members in February. Mr Zeuner stressed the importance of placing plans before the Local Authority in April in order that a work schedule could be made.|
|1984/1||SBC Minutes / 27 January 1984||Dendrochronology - Little Winkhurst and Titchfield / Richard Harris reported that John Fletcher had dated by dendrochronology the open hall of Little Winkhurst at 1500-1505, and the rear wing 1540-1550. The wall plate of Titchfield he dated after 1520, possibly between 1525 and 1535.|