|2010/3||Magazine / Spring 2010||40th Anniversary Commemorative Book / As a lasting memento of the Museum|
|2010/3||Magazine / Spring 2010||Ruby Anniversary Celebrations |
|2010/3||Magazine / Spring 2010||Schools|
|2010/3||Magazine / Spring 2010||Ruby Anniversary Charity Ball |
|2010/3||Magazine / Spring 2010||Friends Grand Draw / The Friends of the Museum are promoting this draw to raise funds for the Museum|
|2010/3||Magazine / Spring 2010||Quilt Project / Effie Galletly (http://www.netherfield gallery.net), a professional quilt maker and artist, will lead a special project this year to make a Museuminspired patchwork quilt. The quilt will be made at the Museum under Effie|
|2010/3||Magazine / Spring 2010||The Access Project options appraisal / In preparing for our 40th Anniversary celebrations I have been looking back over the minutes of the Museum|
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||In Brief - our partnership with the South Downs Naitonal Park Authority / The museum has been awarded a Sustainable Development Community Grant by the South Downs National Park authority. This will be used to fund a feasibility study by museum consultant Jane Weeks which will also form the basis of the museum's Gateway Project Heritage Lottery Fund bid. As part of the study we are working on developing an introductory display about the National park in Hambrook barn, based around the Weald and Downland geological model which has been moved there from the former Redbins farmyard exhibition.|
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||From the Chairman / Much seems to have happened since I wrote this column for the spring issue of the magazine. Not a bad start to our second 40-year period or post-Ruby era!|
We believe that in the coming decades interest in our cultural heritage will continue to grow and relating that to our landscape and built environment is where this museum can excel, through its specialist knowledge and collections, allied to a wonderful site.
I would like to welcome Diana Zeuner as our newest Vice President. Diana will be remembered by many from her time at the museum when her husband, Chris, was our Director from 1974 until his death in 2001. Diana has remained a loyal support and is the editor of the magazine.
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||From the Director / Returning to the museum, now as Director, has been a very stimulating and enjoyable experience. Many changes have taken place while I have been away, including the Downland Gridshell, Longport framhouse and the Winkhurst tudor kitchen as well as the highly successful adult learning programmes. The latter received richly-deserved international recognition in June when the museum won a coveted Europa Nostra award and was named a Grand Prix laureate by the European Commission.|
My first task was the completion of the St Margaret's Mission Church from South Wonston and the Building Crafts Gallery, ready for the official opening by HRH The Duke of Gloucester in April. The next re-erection project is planned for September 2012 when Tindalls Cottage will take its place on site.
A difficult year, weatherwise and the economic climate has made it a less than easy season as regards visitors. At the Rare Breeds Show it poured with rain resulting in considerably lower attendance. Fund raising is n \\
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||Learning about the lives of our forebears / After 17 years in different roles at the museum, Karen Searle Barrett was appointed as the new Head of Interpretation. She describes how we do this at the museum.|
What we do best here is talk to the visitors, as well as carry out many demonstrations in our building exhibits, showing and discussing with visitors such activities as cooking, spinning, making natural dyes, domestic arrangements and gardening. Traditional crafts and rural skills such as pole-lathe turning, lime slaking, blacksmithing, lead working are all vehicles for enhancing the visitor experience and better explaining our heritage.
The decision to furnish some of the houses was a big step in our interpretation work. It can never be known for sure how their previous occupants lived and worked so everyting is conjectural but based on historical evidence and research.
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||The museum's Festival of Steam / A beautiful sunny weekend brought out a big crowd for the annual Festival of Steam, which celebrates the historical significance of many uses of steam power. Steam engines in use across the site demonstrated the kind of work for which they were originally designed.|
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||Filming early ploughing / The museum's sussex cattle have been worked on chair harrowing, carting and ploughing by Chris Baldwin, supported by volunteers. The cows, Gwynne, Graceful, Rose and Ruby, are thought currently to be the only working team in the country. They were filmed by Lion TV during the summer and will ba making a guest appearance on the Antiques Roadshow in april on BBC TV next year.|
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||Farming update / The hop garden in front of Bayleaf has had a much smaller yeald than usual due to the very dry spring and wet and windy summer. Many of the poles blew over in the storm in September. However a sufficient quantity was harvested to send to Ballards Brewery at Rogate, where they are used to make a green hop beer. The museum hopes, in the future, to produce our own beer.|
The arable strips in the paddock above Bayleaf has worked well this year, despite a seeminly constant attack from pheasants, rabbits, deer and badgers. Without the protection of some electric fencing nothing would have survived.
The museum is most grateful to Jonathan fulford and Bartholomews Agri Food of Chichester who have supplied us with a wildflower seed mix which has been scattered along the headlands around the site.
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||Looking at things with fresh eyes. / This year we have focused on experiencing the variety of all our activities, getting to know our wonderful volunteers and generally learning how it all works. Although the museum's interpretation has always been carefully undertaken, the interpretation department is a relatively new one, started only six years ago under Hannah Tiplady who also started the Historic Clothing Project.|
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||In Brief - Refurnishing the toll house / Over the last few months a gradual transformation has been taking place in the Toll House. Originally built around 1810, we have refurnished it as it might have been around 1815, the year the Napoleonic War ended and four years after the start of the Regency (1811-1820). The building has been repaired and repainted on the outside, a new fence erected and the toll gate itself repaired and given a new coat of paint. The interior has been furnished with replica and original furniture and artefacts from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Carlotta Holt, the museum's Gardener, has replanted the garden to reflect the earlier date of the interpretation. The toll house will be stewarded as often as possible and will be well worth a visit.|
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||Monument fellowship leads to new knowledge resources on the museum's work / Former Museum Director, Richard Harris, and Master Carpenter, Roger Champion, have been working together to produce knowledge resources on the repair and re-erection of the museum's historic buildings. The project is the result of an award to Richard of a Monument Fellowship, which enables retired collections specialists to share their unrecorded collections knowledge with colleagues, their successors and the wider community. The information will be recorded on CDs and DVDs to enable it to be shared as part of the museum's formal adult learning, as well as seminars with museum staff and volunteers. At the end of the project it is hoped to invite other British open air museums to review it and assess its implications for the development of a common standard of documentation.|
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||Museum rescues derelict dairy / Towards the end of summer 2010 the museum was approached with the offer of a small ornamental dairy in a somewhat distressed but still relative complete state. Located in the village of Great Bookham in Surrey, to the west of Leatherhead, it formed part of the Eastwick Park Estate which was, during the early 19th century, occupied by the Bazalgette family, renowed for developing Victorian London's sewer system.|
The dairy was constructed in 1806 to serve the mansion house, and consists of two separate, octagonal, brick-built buildings, one slightly larger than the other, connected by an open, covered walkway. The larger was the dairy and the smaller a scalding house.
The dairy will be re-erected on the museum site ina position yet to be finalised, once funds become available.
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||Museum named a Grand Prix heritage laureate by the European Commission - and wins a Europa Nostra award for its historic building conservation training programme / The museum has won a coveted European Union Prize for the Cultural Heritage/Europa Nostra Award for its historic building conservation training programme and was also named a Grand Prix laureat, one of only six out of 27 winners awarded in recognition of outstanding heritage achievements. One of only two winners from the UK, the award was made in the education, training and awareness-raising category. The prize was collected at a ceremony in Amsterdam's Concertgebouw by the museum's Head of Learning, Diana Rowsell, from world-renowned tenor Placido Domingo, President of Europa Nostra, and Androulla Vassiliou, European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Multilingualism and Youth. Diana said "We are very proud of the practical role the museum plays in sharing knowledge and using our historic buildings and collections to enhance the learning pro \\|
|2011/10||Magazine / Autumn 2011||The Duke of Gloucester openes a church and a gallery / HRH The Duke of Gloucester visited the museum in april to officially open the Building Crafts Gallery and St Margaret's Mission Church from South Wonston, Hampshire.|
This was the second visit for the Duke as he last came in 1981 to open the hall from Boarhunt. The duke toured the site and expressed great interest in the museum's work.
The Building Crafts Gallery, sited behind the market square, houses displays of traditional building crafts, including mockups of various forms of construction and building tools and materials.
St Margaret's Mission Church, sited to the north of Whittaker's Cottages, represents the typical "tin tabernacle", bought by many communities as a prefabricated kit of timber and corrugated iron and erected for regular worship in villages and towns up and down the country. Originally erected in 1909 in expectation that a larger church would be built for the growing population, it was last used in 1996, when parishioners began \\